Just like all the other parents, I am going through a tough period during which my toddler doesn't want to eat anything but pasta, French fries and charcuterie... Yet I have tried everything, he throws everything at the dog (at least someone enjoys my "cuisine"). Then I found Kayla. This mom of two (4 years old and 18 months old) shares her healthy and playful recipes on her IG account @thefamilyfoodproject and guess what? It works! Baby loves it, and it is very easy to make. Here are my four absolute favorite ;)
Pictures by Kayla Mangione @thefamilyfoodproject
1. Red lentil savory pancake, avocado, tangy cashew sauce & cilantro
- Soak 1 cup red lentils overnight.
- Rinse well and add to a blender with about 1/4-1/3 cup fresh water, 1 clove of garlic, a good shake of coriander, cumin & sea salt. You can also add a tiny pinch of cinnamon.
- Blend well adding water if necessary to achieve a thick batter.
- Cook in coconut oil on a hot pan until golden. Spices are optional, make it your own!
2. Almond butter brussels sprouts
- For 1lb of sprouts start making the sauce : 1tablespoon almond butter + 1tablespoon coconut oil + 1 tablespoon maple syrup + 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (necessary) + 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.
- Wash and clean sprouts and slice in half. Coat in sauce, rubbing it into each cut end.
- Roast on parchment paper at 400 for about 35-45 mins, flipping at about the 30 min mark. Keep an eye on them and let them go as crispy as you like.
3. Veggie stir fry with sweet and sour pineapple sauce
- Prepare and sauté the veggies of choice (on the picture : onion, yellow pepper, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower & mushroom).
- For the sauce add : 1 cup veggie broth, 1/4 cup natural or homemade ketchup, 2 tablespoons coconut aminos, 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons tapioca, corn or potato starch (to thicken).
- Sauté with veggies once they are 95% cooked.
- Throw in 1 cup diced pineapple right at the end along with chili flakes if you like.
- Mix with brown rice pad thai noodles or any grain.
4. Chickpea salad in nori, kraut & apples
- Start with the chickpea salad : 1.5 cup cooked chickpeas + 2 tablespoons diced red onion + 1 diced celery rib + 1 diced small pickle + 1/2 small avocado (mashed) + 1 teaspoon grainy mustard + 1 tablespoon rice vinegar + 1 tablespoon high quality mayo (optional) + salt and pepper.
- Lay out a piece of seaweed (rough side up) and smash salad with a fork into half of the wrap. We added a piece of romaine but you can add anything for crunch (cucumber, carrot, sprouts).
- Roll and use a little bit of water to seal the end of the wrap.